Owning your own home comes with so many benefits and while your plumbing system isn’t glamorous and seems quite boring, it is actually one of the most important parts of your home. Believe it or not, your plumbing is one of the primary home features that provide real luxury. All you need to do is imagine a home without plumbing to truly appreciate it. Taking long hot showers, having water in several rooms on demand, using a bathroom indoors. We don’t think of these as luxuries, but they truly are. So, in order to keep these features operating at peak performance, you will want a few simple plumbing tips and we’ve got those for you right here.
Our top plumbing tips:
- Know where your ‘water main’ is and how to shut it off in an emergency, or just to do work where you need the water shut off. Typically it is just outside the house where the municipal pipes connect with the pipes under your property to your house. It will either be a knife-style knob or a round knob.
- Learn the typical signs of leaks. If you hear the toilet “running” when it hasn’t been flushed, if your faucets are dripping, or if your water bill suddenly increases without an increase in usage, those are signs of a leak or problem.
- Be weather-wise. Depending on where you live, you may need to protect your pipes from freezing and you may wish to wrap your water heater. In some cases, this is necessary to keep your water heater running well and in other locations, it can just improve the performance. Speaking of your water heater, it is also a good idea to know your water heater’s age so you don’t risk it failing when it gets too old. Most of them last 6-12 years. Trust me, you want to replace them before they fail or you risk serious damage from flooding or worse.
- Keep ‘em clean – not your toilets (although that, too!) but be sure your drains are clear of items that can clog or impede your systems. Have a good-quality toilet plunger available. You may want one for the kitchen sink (and bathroom sinks) so you aren’t using one that gets used on toilets!
- Know your garbage disposal’s limits. Sometimes homeowners think that a garbage disposal can take care of anything and everything that goes down the drain, but that isn’t true. No grease or oil, no coffee grounds, and no hard-to-break-down foods should go down *any* drain. Your garbage disposal can handle a carrot, but not a steak with bones!
- Get to know your great local plumber! Having a trustworthy and knowledgeable plumbing company on hand brings unparalleled peace of mind. If you know you can trust your plumber to take good care of your home’s plumbing you can relax and enjoy your home stress-free.
Get Phend’s Plumbing Service
Here at Phend Plumbing, we are proud of our technicians and our company. We offer excellent service with clear communication and excellent value. We hope you found these tips valuable and we hope you will visit our site if you are in the Mesa area and want the highest quality plumbing company around.
Please call us and we can schedule a plumbing inspection and let you know how all of these tips and best practices can keep your plumbing humming and your life stress-free.