Converting your garage into a workshop, added living space, or an Airbnb room can improve your home’s resale price while giving you the space you need. To do this, you’ll need to have running water in your garage so that you can install necessities like a utility sink or shower. Not sure how to do that? You’re in luck! Here’s what you need to know about how to run plumbing for a garage workshop or second living space.
Can You Run Plumbing To A Garage?
Yes, you can run plumbing to your garage. It’s normally done by taking a part of your home’s existing plumbing and running an underground line to connect it to a new plumbing system in your garage. You can run plumbing to an attached or detached garage.
Reasons To Run Plumbing To Your Garage
People choose to run plumbing to their garage for a variety of reasons:
- Utility sink: Having a utility sink in your garage will make doing certain tasks much easier, especially if you’ve got a workshop in your garage. They’re also great for washing pets!
- Floor Drains: Installing floor drains in your garage will eliminate puddles and limit moisture. This is especially helpful in wet weather.
- Shower: If you’re going to convert your garage into a living space or Airbnb, having a shower is an absolute must. You should also ensure that you check its water pressure after installation.
- Bathrooms: Putting a half or full bathroom into your garage can make for convenient extra space.
- Laundry: Many people run plumbing to their garage to create a laundry room on the ground level of their home.
How To Prepare A Garage For New Plumbing
Running plumbing to an existing garage is very difficult and best handled by a professional plumber. But there are still some things you should do to prepare a garage for new plumbing:
- Decide what you want the space to be (a workshop, Airbnb, extra bathroom, etc.)
- Consider where you want water appliances to be located
- Plan the layout of the space
- Get an estimate from several plumbers in your area
How Much Does It Cost To Add Plumbing To A Detached Garage?
The cost of adding plumbing to a detached garage depends on various factors. Plumbers will consider your garage’s foundation material, the depth of your main sewer line, and the price of materials to estimate your project’s costs. Two more things that may influence cost are whether your garage is ventilated or insulated.
Get A Free Estimate
Phend Plumbing is your local plumbing specialist in the Phoenix Valley area. With offices in Mesa-Phoenix and Gilbert, Arizona, our family-owned business has years of experience helping homeowners and businesses with all their plumbing needs. We offer up-front pricing and fast, professional work. Give us a call at 480-388-6093 or contact us online to get a free estimate on your next plumbing project today.