As a homeowner in Gilbert and Mesa, Arizona, you’re probably all too aware of how the scorching summer heat can cause your water usage to skyrocket. But did you know that there are ways to keep your water bill under control, even during the hottest months of the year? I’m Pete, your local plumber, here to share some practical tips to help you save water this summer.
The Role of Efficient Plumbing in Water Conservation
First of all, efficient plumbing plays a significant role in water conservation. Leaky faucets, dripping shower heads and running toilets aren’t just annoying—they can waste thousands of gallons of water each year. By getting these issues fixed, you can potentially save up to 10% on your water bill.
A professional plumber can quickly identify and repair these issues, but if you’re handy around the house, you might be able to handle some smaller repairs yourself. Either way, a water-efficient home starts with a well-maintained plumbing system.
Water-Saving Tips for Your Household
Beyond ensuring your plumbing is in top shape, there are several steps you can take to further reduce your water usage:
- Be mindful of your water usage habits: Small changes can make a big difference. Try to limit your showers to 10 minutes or less, and turn off the faucet while you’re brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Use appliances efficiently: Only run your dishwasher or washing machine when they’re full. Consider upgrading to a water-efficient model if any of your current appliances are old and inefficient.
- Reconsider your landscaping: In the Arizona heat, maintaining a lush lawn can require a lot of water. Consider transitioning to drought-tolerant plants or xeriscaping, which can significantly reduce your outdoor water usage.
The Power of Smart Irrigation
One of the biggest culprits of high water usage during the summer months is outdoor irrigation. Here’s how you can water your plants efficiently:
- The two best times to water are late evening or early morning: Since it is cooler during these times of day, evaporation is reduced so more water reaches your plants.
- Invest in a smart irrigation system: These systems use weather data to adjust watering schedules automatically, ensuring your plants get just the right amount of water and not a drop more.
When to Call a Professional
While many of these tips can be implemented on your own, there are times when you might need professional help:
- Detecting and repairing leaks: If you suspect a hidden leak in your home, it’s best to call a professional to locate and fix it.
- Installing water-efficient appliances or fixtures: If you’re not comfortable doing these installations yourself, a plumber can ensure they’re installed correctly and functioning at peak efficiency.
- Consulting on landscaping changes or irrigation systems: While a plumber might not be your first thought for landscaping advice, many of us are knowledgeable about efficient irrigation systems and can provide valuable insight. Just keep in mind at Phend Plumbing our technicians will not do the actual work on your irrigation systems.
In summary, saving water during the hot Arizona summer is a combination of maintaining efficient plumbing, adopting mindful water usage habits, and implementing smart irrigation. By following these tips, you can keep your water bill manageable without sacrificing comfort or convenience. And remember, your local plumber is always here to help with any water-saving measures you’re unsure about. Stay cool, Gilbert and Mesa, and reach out to us at 480-388-6093!